How to Become a Teenage Baker
What Does a Teen Baker Do?
Teen bakers spend most of their time in a kitchen or bakery making delicious treats for everyone to enjoy. You can provide desserts for community events, parties, or schools. Whether it’s cakes, brownies, muffins, or doughnuts, your treats will put smiles on the faces of many.
How Much Does a Teen Baker Get Paid?
The pay for a teen baker can vary. If you’re applying for a job at a restaurant or bakery, you could make anywhere from $8 an hour to $18+ an hour if you’re more experienced. If you’re looking to start your own business, it depends on how much work you put into your treats, how you promote yourself and how open you are to making new and different desserts.
How Can I Get Started as a Teen Baker?
1. Talk with your parents about getting started as a baker to make sure they approve. If they agree with the idea, they’re more than likely willing to help you get started with purchasing the items you’ll need. (Scroll down for a list of supplies).
2. After purchasing your supplies, think about the types of desserts you’ll want to make and write them down.
3. Create your own menu. Take the list of desserts you wrote down and come up with reasonable prices for each one. Ask your parents for help if you need to. Your customers will want to know what you offer. They might want their own custom orders too, so keep that in mind.
4. Come up with a name for your business! Something catchy and creative will bring in more people.
5. Creating and maintaining your own website can be time-consuming and expensive, so first try making a free Facebook fan page for your business to make it easier for customers to find you. This is really helpful because you can link it to your personal Facebook account, share your menu with people, and post updates! If you’d like to create your own website, you can check out how easy that is on this post we created. Just follow the steps to create your own “blog”, which will actually be your own website.
6. Look up the ingredients you’ll need to make your treats and take a fun trip to the grocery store! Most items require butter, sugar, salt, vanilla extract, eggs, flour, milk, and baking powder. It might also help to write these items down for a recipe book. Having one will help when you start your baking process.
7. After you have your supplies, ingredients, business page, and menu, you can start promoting yourself! If your Facebook fan page is linked to your personal page, invite all of your friends to like it. If your parents don’t allow you to use Facebook, no worries! Create your own business flyers using Microsoft Word or free sites like Canva.com. Ask your family and friends to help you pass them out around your community!
8. Try baking a few samples for your family and friends to try for free. Their honest feedback might help you when you start bringing in new customers.
9. Think of how you want customers to order your desserts. If you make a Facebook fan page, customers can order through the site, so be sure to continuously check it. If you have your own website, make sure you make it easy for people to submit orders there too. Your contact information should be on your page and your flyers, so expect to be contacted by phone and email as well. Think of a way to keep your orders organized. You can purchase a notebook or binder to keep track or log them somewhere in a folder on your computer.
10. Be sure to keep in contact with customers if you need to update them on anything. Also, try to meet their deadlines so you keep them happy. Be professional because this is your own business and you want people to come back for more!
Here are a list of supplies you’ll need to buy before you get started. First, ask your parents if they have any of the items listed so you both can save money. The prices vary from time-to-time, but if you search these items on Amazon you’ll still find them in this price range or for cheaper! At the bottom of this list are more sites that will tell you what you might need to purchase or how to help you if you’re a beginner!
- Facebook.com: This is where you can create a Facebook fan page for your business.
- Create Your Own Website: This is a post that explains how you can create your own website in a step-by-step tutorial.
- Canva.com: This is a resource you can use to make flyers for your business.
- Amazon.com: If you're looking to get the materials to become a teen baker, they are listed below.